BA (Hons) Sport Business Management
This course develops your understanding of the business of sport, exploring the sports industry in
the UK, as well as from a broader global perspective. You’ll learn key business concepts and theories, using them to review modern sports businesses and best practice in sports management.
Throughout the course, we put a strong emphasis on the leadership and management of sports events, as well as developing the strategic skills you’ll need to be successful in today’s sports
industry. We’ll help you develop your entrepreneurial skills so that when you graduate, you’ll have a balanced portfolio of knowledge and practical skills which really boosts your employability.
The Qualifications have developed the learner’s ability to:
• Develop an understanding of the management skills and knowledge needed to operate and promote a range of fitness, sports and leisure facilities within the public, commercial and voluntary sector environments.
• Identify and explore the basic skills and knowledge required to operate these facilities, including those required for customer care, staff management, marketing, budgeting, health and safety, programming and maintenance of physical resources.
• Exploration of the development of sport as a significant part of many societies today, as well as consideration of the ways in which sports may be seen as global phenomena.
Course code: MAN6254
Course type: Advanced
Course fee: £23,000 per year
Course duration: 3 years
Course delivery: Campus and work placement Location: Hertfordshire, United Kingdom.
The qualification can be offered to Learners from age 18. The Learners need to ensure that they have sufficient capability at the right level to undertake the learning and assessment.
English language requirements
The Qualifications have been designed to be accessible without artificial barriers that restrict access
• IELTS minimum 5.0- 6.5 overall with no fail.
• Minimum 3A Levels or equivalent qualification.
• Pass 5 GCSE subjects
We consider applicants:
• Who have demonstrated some ability and possess Qualifications at Level 3, for example, ‘A’ Levels or vocational awards.
• Who have spent some time in an organisational role and wish to develop their careers further.
• With professional experience looking to change careers through work-based learning.
• Understanding Sport Industry
This module will develop an understanding of the management skills and knowledge needed to operate and promote a range of fitness, sports and leisure facilities within the public, commercial and voluntary sector environments. It will identify and explore the basic skills and knowledge required to operate these facilities, including those required for customer care, staff management, marketing, budgeting, health and safety, programming and maintenance of physical resources.
• Sport Business Management: National and International Perspectives
This module will set the scene for the way in which sport is run as both a commercial and not for profit business both in the UK and internationally. For example, it will explore the delivery models for sport in different parts of the UK and consider international delivery such as the franchise model popular in North American sport.
• Sports as Social and Global Phenomena
This module will focus on the social context of sport and the interaction between sport, society and culture. This will include an exploration of the development of sport as a significant part of many societies today, as well as consideration of the ways in which sports may be seen as global phenomena.
• Developing an Academic Approach
This module is focussed on introducing and developing skills required to develop a successful academic approach to be a successful student in a Higher Education. While also considering the professional/transferable skills for a successful career. With regards to academic approach, this module primarily provides an introduction to the academic, IT and communication skills that students will require to become effective autonomous learners in Higher Education.
• Foundations of Sports Coaching
This module involves an examination of the basic rationale behind the foundational principles of coaching, and the application of coaching practices, with reference to relevant supporting theory and literature. It aims to facilitate the development of practical coaching experience in context through the combination of undertaking a coach shadowing placement; gaining a vocational coaching award; and planning, delivery and evaluation of the student s own coaching.
• Physical Activity and Sport Policy in Practice
This module will consider the nature and scope of physical activity and sports development, to provide students with an understanding of the growth and evolution of sports development and the value of an active lifestyle. The varied organisational perspectives and priorities relating to sports development will be considered in both a global and UK perspective, whilst the role of sport in a wider social setting will also be explored.
Work-based learning Opportunities:
Below are examples of potential career opportunities you could explore:
• Trainee Athletic Coach
• Trainee Athlete Development Specialist
• Trainee Business Development Coordinator
• Trainee Event Coordinator
• Trainee Facilities Manager
Learners completing this course can progress to:
• Level 7 Master in Sports Business Management
- Start Course: September 2020
- Duration: 3 years
- Prerequisites: No